two Helicopters were only 3 miles along the road from the museum in
Melbourne Auto’s “Car Parts Recycling Centre” at Storwood, East
Yorks, so an immediate car journey was undertaken to inspect them, after
5 weeks of negotiations and persuasion they were purchased.
it was discovered that one of them (WH991) was almost certainly worked
“hands on” by Mac in May/June 1956 when it went to the Helicopter
Handling Unit at Lee on Solent.
was moved to the Yorkshire Air Museum early November 1994 where work
started on it outside in the Museum car park in the early Spring of
1995, In the meantime the second Dragonfly was moved the Mac’s factory
yard in Malton as a source of spares.
two helicopters were in a very poor condition having been outside in all
weathers for approximately 24 years. During that time damage was
incurred and parts were robbed
of the bodywork of WH991 was damaged, all remaining instruments were
smashed, many of the magnesium castings were badly corroded and the tail
boom was missing.
was just a shell having served with Stanstead Airport Fire Service. Most
of the panels were missing or cut through with fire axes and circular
saws and holes were sheeted over with pop rivits and painted.
wheels were badly corroded and the tyres were filled with concrete in an
effort to make it look OK.
Return to Index|To Next Section